Strategies for enhancing GLP-1 signaling in diabetic subjects represent appropriate pharmacological targets and include:
1) Delivery of potent GLP-1 analogues via s.c., enteral, pulmonary, or sublingual delivery systems
2) Cell-based GLP-1 delivery
3) Gene therapy for long acting GLP-1 delivery
The latter 2 strategies would ideally employ endogenous and/or heterologous nutrient sensitive promoters for control of GLP-1 secretion
4) Molecules that would activate GLP-1 receptor signaling in target tissues
5) Molecules that would stimulate GLP-1 release from the endogenous enteroendocrine L cell
A number of Drucker laboratory reagents have been developed that may be useful for successful pursuit of several of the above strategic targets.